Challenging Arts & Crafts

a parade of pillowcases and laces

  


One of the fave things I´m into nowadays is white pillowcases, made some a couple of weeks ago. 

Yeah, I´ve collected a few already, it all started during my  holiday when I brought home a very pretty tablecloth and a pillowcase made by the women of Cyprus. They make pretty laces and in every town we visited, women have had their lace work done outside the house, so to speak in  their patios and sometimes these women sell their works directly right at their doorsteps...





I love to put up all the pillows when the bed is not in used, that  way it gives a romantic touch to the whole room..



 The tablecloth from Cyprus is big enough to cover the bed  and sometimes I use it as bedcover in the guest bedroom.  The crochet skirt is actually a  tablecloth which I also use to  give pretty decor effect to the bed when not in use. I made it some  20 years  back  when I commuted by train to work..



Some of the white pillowcases I have were handdowns   from "Oma", hubby´s grandma... She was an avid crafter like me,  she loved to embroider her pillowcases and I guess am lucky to  have inherited all her works. 





I found a pair of white pillowcases with monograms from  a fleamarket organized by schoolchildren in our vicinity,  lucky find though( see below photo)  ´cause the price tag was really  just a fraction of a cost, giveaways as such!









This is the center of the Cyprus tablecloth......



..... and the edge lacing on all sides.




A pillowcase from Cyprus





 A friend´s gift for my birthday



I got this from a fleamarket dealer for 0,50 Euro cents. To think of the work
involved in crocheting a simple lace like this.. it is not only a bargain, it´s a treasure..




 I made this one, I wanted to put an embroidered piece in  the center
 but later changed my mind and crocheted the middle part and stitched
 this onto the main pillowcase by hand..








Oma´s masterpiece using the richelieu embroidery  technique, cutting
 out the outline after embroidery was done and attached a piece of  what looked like a net as background of the whole work... it is indeed a piece of art!




 I´ve finally decided to finish the above pair during the last  couple  of weeks... Actually they were hand quilted by me as well  as lace edges were crocheted long beforehand.  The crocheted edges  were  intended to be laces for a bed canopy that I wanted to make, but it  did not materialize because I opted to use a different fabric for  the canopy panels... I will still continue to add to this collection and hope to find more treasures like these...

I hope everyone´s doing good and enjoying Sunday.. 

Wishing you all to have a good start of the week!!!

Til next,

Mercy

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely blog........seeing all the pillows brings back great memories of my grandmother.

    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete