Challenging Arts & Crafts

creative chaos & pumpkin chutney




Whatever is  the difference between squash & pumpkin  isn´t really
 an issue for me as far 
 as my cooking or baking is concerned. 

After a couple of weeks, the harvested cucurbita maxima type has now
 been cut, peeled and cooked and I labelled the jars as Pumpkin Chutney.







It deemed on me that I would need a couple of days to use-up all of it.
Yes, all of the 9.2 kilos in total weight....Oh my, what to do, which recipes?
Anyway, I have "Oma´s" ( hubby´s grandma) recipe for the Chutney at any rate.


It was a bit of a surprise that half of the weight composed the seeds
 and the fibrous part.  Feeling relief? ...yes, I was!

 After removing the seeds and the fibrous part, my kitchen looked
 like a battlefield which my better half called a "creative chaos".
The rest of the cucurbita was made into salted muffins with Ricotta.

Below is the recipe for the 7 jars of Chutney.



 Pumpkin Chutney

Ingredients:
2.5 kgs unpeeled pumpkin cut into 2 cm chunks ( or butternut squash )
3 large diced onions
4 red italian chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
3 apples , cut into 2 cm chunks
700 ml apple cider vinegar
500 gms brown sugar
1 tbsp  salt, 
1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
Preparations.
1.
 In a deep casserole, bring water to a boil. Dip-in  each of the glass jars
    one by one in the boiling water to  sterilize  them, set aside.
2.
  Combine all the ingredients in a big casserole and cook all til boiling point. Reduce
     heat , stirring occasionally, simmer for about 1 hour or until the chutney becomes
     soft and thick. Spoon Chutney into the jars closing the lid immediately.
3. 
If you like, you can trim the glass jars with a fabric, covering
 the  lid just like how I trimmed each of the jars. Label the jar, specify  the
 date  when Chutney was cooked, and store in a cool dry and dark place.





The chutney can be stored up to 3 months after its filling.



 Hope you all have a great Weekend!