Challenging Arts & Crafts

creative chaos & pumpkin chutney




Whatever is  the difference between squash & pumpkin  isn´t really
 an issue for me as far 
 as my cooking or baking is concerned. 

After a couple of weeks, the harvested cucurbita maxima type has now
 been cut, peeled and cooked and I labelled the jars as Pumpkin Chutney.







It deemed on me that I would need a couple of days to use-up all of it.
Yes, all of the 9.2 kilos in total weight....Oh my, what to do, which recipes?
Anyway, I have "Oma´s" ( hubby´s grandma) recipe for the Chutney at any rate.


It was a bit of a surprise that half of the weight composed the seeds
 and the fibrous part.  Feeling relief? ...yes, I was!

 After removing the seeds and the fibrous part, my kitchen looked
 like a battlefield which my better half called a "creative chaos".
The rest of the cucurbita was made into salted muffins with Ricotta.

Below is the recipe for the 7 jars of Chutney.



 Pumpkin Chutney

Ingredients:
2.5 kgs unpeeled pumpkin cut into 2 cm chunks ( or butternut squash )
3 large diced onions
4 red italian chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
3 apples , cut into 2 cm chunks
700 ml apple cider vinegar
500 gms brown sugar
1 tbsp  salt, 
1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
Preparations.
1.
 In a deep casserole, bring water to a boil. Dip-in  each of the glass jars
    one by one in the boiling water to  sterilize  them, set aside.
2.
  Combine all the ingredients in a big casserole and cook all til boiling point. Reduce
     heat , stirring occasionally, simmer for about 1 hour or until the chutney becomes
     soft and thick. Spoon Chutney into the jars closing the lid immediately.
3. 
If you like, you can trim the glass jars with a fabric, covering
 the  lid just like how I trimmed each of the jars. Label the jar, specify  the
 date  when Chutney was cooked, and store in a cool dry and dark place.





The chutney can be stored up to 3 months after its filling.



 Hope you all have a great Weekend! 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe - I bet it would make a great gift idea as well as being able to enjoy yourself!! Thank you for sharing it at the Get Your DIY On Challenge Pumpkin Projects! Hope you will be back this evening with a Burlap project or two!
    -Krista from the happy housie

    ReplyDelete