Challenging Arts & Crafts

Rucola Tomato Pie

 
 
 
 

 

One of the best things ever invented in baking is the ready made phyllo or the puff pastry. They are so versatile to use and  a blessing in one´s kitchen. You don´t have to spend so much time making this dough to achieve flaky and crispy layers.

 

I always see to it that I have this ready in the fridge, so anytime when some visitors come up, I can always produce something quick and tasteful.

 

 
 
 

For this recipe, I used rucola leaves... it has a mild taste which I prefer more than the fresh spinach...

 
 
 


Ingredients :


 


1 readymade puff pastry ( approx 270-275 gms ) for
   a 24 cm pie form

250 g Ricotta ( fresh italian White cheese)
200 g Rucola leaves
3 eggs, 2 cloves crushed garlic
3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced ( reserve about 4-5 slices for
topping)
3 spring onions cut into small pieces
salt & pepper

cooking oil to sautée the leaves

butter to coat the pie form


 

 

Instructions: 

1. Preheat the oven at 180°C. Coat the pie form with butter, roll out the pastry, remove the paper (set aside for later use), place the pastry onto the form slightly pressing it so that it covers the form completely. Tuck the pastry edges towards the inner side just like in a pizza crust (see Image nr. 1)....

Place the pastry paper or parchment on top of the pastry, then add dried beans to bake blind the pastry for 10 minutes under 180°C.


Remove the paper and the beans and bake 5 minutes more to get a brown crust all over. Set aside for later filling.

 

 
 
 


3. In a pan with 1 tbsp butter, slightly fry the rucola leaves until they get limpy and loose its liquid, put in a colander to squesze out more liquid.... set aside.

In the same pan, add 1 tbsp cooking oil & fry the crushed garlic, 2 sliced tomatoes and the cut spring onions til done, about 2 minutes.... set aside.





 
 

4. Fill the puffed pastry with half of the egg-Ricotta mixture. Arrange the Rucola and tomatoes on top of it and add 1/4 of the of the egg mixture. Then, top with the reserved sliced tomatoes. Pour the rest of the egg mixture and bake at 175°C for about 20 minutes.... for crispy edges, bake more for 5 minutes at 175°C..

Can be served warm or cold, goes well with white wine.

Note: If the puff pastry tends to become too dark during the baking process, cover the pie with an aluminum foil, remove cover 5 minutes before the baking time ends.

 

Have a nice time baking!!

 

Thank you for reading my blog.... am wishing you a Happy Weekend!!!

 

Til next,

 

Mercy

 

 

 


2 comments:

  1. The photo made my mouth water! I've never heard of rucola but I'm sure I'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lydia... thank you so much for liking the recipe, I always see to it that I have a ready made filo in my fridge so anytime I´ll be able to make this quickly.... Hope you´ll enjoy my other postings, too..
      Have a nice day to you! Mercy

      Delete